Marine Navigation Shorebased course.
Learn to navigate using charts and electronic equipment.
RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Navigation Theory Course with Sailing Ireland,
RYA Coastal Skipper Navigation Course
Next Marine Navigation Course: Please contact us for latest news
We are planning to run this course over 8 saturdays (non consecutive).
Please indicate your interest and we will contact you regarding details.
Numbers limited please book early to ensure your place.
Sailing Ireland are available to supply bespoke navigation course
to clubs and groups on an all year round basis.
Contact Dermot : 086 1713800
Shorebased Navigation Courses
Sailing Ireland offers the RYA Yachtmaster Coastal & Offshore shorebased navigation courses which is designed to develop the recreational sailor's ability to navigate a sailing or motor yacht on extended passages by day and by night.
Next course planned in the Wexford Harbour Boat & Tennis Club. Course will be completed over 8 saturdays. Starting in Jan. 2018
(see upcoming courses page for actual dates)
Cost of the course is €425 euro per student with a 10% discount on the course fee for WHBTC members.
This cost includes Sailing Ireland providing each students with the ISA Yachtmaster Coastal student pack at cost ( value €80).
The pack includes the course textbook, navigation practice charts, tide tables, almanac and course notes as required. Electronic Navigation is included on this course.
Student numbers are limited in order to assure individual attention as required so early booking essential.
This is a very popular and enjoyable course which starts at the basics and works up to the level where
the student has the ability to navigate safely and with confidence.
No previous knowledge required as you start from the basics.
Students may receive certification when:
- They have attended at least 80% of the course.
They have completed all of the assessment papers to a standard acceptable to the instructor.
They have demonstrated an understanding of the principals taught during the course.
The Yachtmaster Coastal or Offshore Shorebased Course Certificates are not prerequisites for the
Yachtmaster Coastal or Yachtmaster Offshore Practical certificate examinations;
candidates for either of these exams are, however, strongly recommended to undertake the relevant
shorebased course or courses.
- Chartwork forms a major part of the course and the student will learn how to correctly interpret a chart and
to use it for the purpose of safe navigation
- Position fixing, GPS use, clearing lines and navigational marks
- Tides and tidal heights are explained and students will learn how to calculate flows and heights for any location around our coast
- "Rules of the Road" (Collision Regulations) - Right of Way, overtaking rules, give way situations, navigational lights
and the identifying of different types of vessels by day and by night.
- Buoyage systems - port and starboard marks, cardinal marks, special marks. What they mean and correct use around them
- Passage planning and pilotage. How to use the tide to your advantage. Do's and Don'ts of passage making.
Calculating a course to steer allowing for tidal flow and windage. Estimating the time required for a passage
- Dead reckoning and Estimated Position. Fixing a position
- Weather - Sources of information. Basic theory, what to expect. Weather Systems and effects
- Safety - Communications. Fire Prevention and fighting. Use of safety equipment.
Use of safety devices both electronic and manual.
- Types of water craft. Limitations of different types of boats
- Safe Boating. Outlines correct procedures when planning a trip. Safety equipment and their use
Students are required to use the ISA course pack which contains course
notes, workbooks with sample questions, practice charts, course almanac
and safety booklet with CD.
The course pack will be supplied through your course provider.
You will also require a Portland Plotter and dividers along with a soft pencil (2B) , eraser and notebook.
Sailing Ireland can provide all of the above at cost.
Basic sail training preferred but not essential. Upon successful completion of all the elements of the course students will be presented with an ISA Coastal or Offshore Yachtmaster Theory Certificate.
How to book your place
To book your please contact us by phone on +353 (0) 53 913 9163 or by mobile on +353 (0) 86 171 3800